Transition Stroud

This is a shared history blog. Together we can write the history of our process of transition as it happens.

Tuesday, 20 March 2007

How Stroud Survived Peak Film Ticket Sales

Last Friday (16th April) was the first big event of the Stroud Transition process. StroudSown--Jessica Standing and Odila Jarman--got together a fantastic event around a showing of the film The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil. There was a real buzz in the town and people rushing around trying to buy tickets. Unlike most Stroud events turning up on the night was not an option since tickets sold out at least a week before the event.
I wasn't able to be at the event, not because I am disorganised but because I nobly gave my ticket to somebody more deserving than myself. Feedback I have received as an interested bystander has been extremely positive. More than 150 people in a room talking about peak oil is a great way to start a community response.

More than that people felt there was a lot of love and optimism flowing. It was like a 60s revolution rather than a place of doom and gloom. The food was universally praised; opinions on the music varied, but that seems fairly inevitable.

We're looking forward to the follow-up event next Friday when there will be a Freshers' Fair at Star Anise cafe, with each working group trying to rustle up support for its activities. People will also be asked to fill in questionnaires detailing their skills and to join Carbon Reduction Action Groups (CRAGS).

Positive, optimistic community energy is what we are aiming for. Let Cuba be our example! And remember my slogan: If I can't dance, I don't want to part of your transition.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home